Nvidia versus Nouveau

Ответить
ejvwaasdijk

Nvidia versus Nouveau

Сообщение ejvwaasdijk » 15 апр 2013, 19:19

totday I installed Rosa Fresh on another computer and got the same problem with nouveau that I mentioned in the first letter of

http://forum.rosalab.ru/en/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1907

I id not remember how I then solved the problem, because I did so many things. First I tried to change the driver via systemsettings>install graphic server. I chose my nvidia card and permitted the installation of the proprietary driver. After this I rebooted. The computer hung somewhere during the booting process. I did not know what to do, since there is no failsafe option in the grub2 menu. I thought I could do the same trick that I used to do with Mandriva: So I restored settings by "updating" from the DVD that had a special option for this in the installation procedure. No files were copied from the DVD, but settings were restored. So I put the DVD in and installed without formatting the root partition. The program did not notice that a complete and updated installation was already there. All this took a very long time. So I had to do a clean installation.

I remembered that I once had the same problem with Mageia 2. The solution there was to uninstall nouveau and install the dkms-nvidia at the same time and reboot.

Today this did not work with Rosa Fresh.

On another computer I searched for a howto start Rosa in failsafe mode. Following the advice I started XFdrake in text mode and chose the already installed proprietary driver. Suddenly the program did something, it changed a xorg file. After this I could boot again into Rosa Fresh. The nvidia driver worked perfectly.

I tell all this, because it is my suggestion that the old Mandriva program is no longer adequate with the new kernels. From the names of the files I guess that the newer kernels treat the drivers different from before. Adding dkms-nvidia does not remove nouveau. And both clash. In Mageia removal of one and installation of another worked. It did not in Rosa fresh.

So my guess is that in both the old Mandriva program, XFdrake, must be updated to handle the new configuration of the kernel.

Can someone comment on this?

Greetings,

Erik.

akdengi

Re: Nvidia versus Nouveau

Сообщение akdengi » 15 апр 2013, 23:04

Not reason remove nouveau - install nvidia blob via XFdrake doing two things - add 'nomodest' option to grub2 boot line and change gl_conf alternatives. If you run Xfdrake and not select proprietary driver, you has this options in reward mode - change gl_conf to default.

You may doing this manually - simple change lines in /etc/defaults/grub (delete nomodeset) and run grub2-update. Than run

update-alternatives --config gl_conf

and input number of line '/etc/ld.so.conf.d/GL/standard.conf'

Afder this you system will run with nouveau driver, but you may simple return to nvidia.

In future we change this (nvdia will add some nouveau obsoletes mode and for return you will need goto vesa mode, delete nvidia blob and reboot), but now algorithm is that.

Ответить

Вернуться в «Desktop»