Focus on 64 Bit

English-speaking forum for talkers =)
Ответить
ShalokShalom
Operating system: ROSA

Focus on 64 Bit

Сообщение ShalokShalom » 13 фев 2015, 16:57

To create the highest quality Distribution possible, is it in my opinion sense full, to put the packaging work into one arch, in order to release a lot of human power.

Other Distros like RHEL/CentOS 7, PC-BSD, Chakra, KaOS and Sabayon already drop their 32 Bit ISO`s, others like Fedora and Ubuntu will follow in the next couple of years.

ROSA can put all its focus on 64 Bit ISO`s with lib32 support for WINE, Steam, Skype, Teamviewer, Brother printers, Android development, the PCSX2 emulator and so on.

It is a good ten years now that 64 bit is available and it becomes sometimes more expensive to keep a 32 Bit computer on life, as to buy a second hand 64 Bit one.

There are enough nice operating systems out there, who will stand for sure some more years on 32 Bit, Debian and Slackware, as an example.

I post this proposal already into the Open Mandriva forum and the community there support a further 32 Bit ISO development: https://forums.openmandriva.org/en/disc ... n-one-arch

Since ROSA is a company, is it here maybe more sense full, to think about that idea. :)

ДроноваЮ
Operating system: Ubuntu/ROSA

Re: Focus on 64 Bit

Сообщение ДроноваЮ » 13 фев 2015, 17:53

Well, the future versions of our server (ROSA Enterprise Linux Server) are 64 bit only by default. But from the desktop side there are still a lot of users on x86 hardware, especially those who live far from Moscow/St.Petersburg and other big cities (in Europe/Asia the situation is similar, i guess). The upstream orientation for 64 only is well known but on the desktop u have to face the reality :)

PS -- and not to forget such x86-only packages as Skype, Steam etc

ShalokShalom

Сообщение ShalokShalom » 14 фев 2015, 14:10

ДроноваЮ писал(а): and not to forget such x86-only packages as Skype, Steam etc
As stated, is it still possible to ship these packages on 64 Bit, like nearly each 64 Bit distro does that: (KaOS is the only one 100 % 64 Bit distro, which i know):
ShalokShalom писал(а):ROSA can put all its focus on 64 Bit ISO`s with lib32 support for WINE, Steam, Skype, Teamviewer, Brother printers, Android development, the PCSX2 emulator and so on.
ДроноваЮ писал(а):...from the desktop side there are still a lot of users on x86 hardware, especially those who live far from Moscow/St.Petersburg and other big cities (in Europe/Asia the situation is similar, i guess).
It might be a expedient, to continue with the marathon edition for them ?

ДроноваЮ

Сообщение ДроноваЮ » 15 фев 2015, 17:52

ShalokShalom писал(а):It might be a expedient, to continue with the marathon edition for them ?
Surprize :D but lots of people want the latest versions of the software. By reading the forum's topis one may even think that 99% of our users use Linux only with one purpose -- everyday's updates, nothing else. And generally I would agree with what OM people said: forcing 64-bit only is definitely against the freedom of choice which is one of the base Linux principles :)

ShalokShalom

Сообщение ShalokShalom » 16 фев 2015, 04:19

So ROSA Marathon get created for 1% of the user base ? And for which reason is a fresh system such important on more than 10 year old devices, which often have troubles to use facebook and youtube at the same time ?

ДроноваЮ

Сообщение ДроноваЮ » 16 фев 2015, 10:15

Actually, u see, I can find no reasonable base at all for u demanding such a report from us :)

ShalokShalom

Сообщение ShalokShalom » 16 фев 2015, 15:50

So you avoid the issue

ДроноваЮ

Сообщение ДроноваЮ » 16 фев 2015, 16:24

:)
I do, yes.
I avoid
1) subjects which have no practical meaning other than entertain users on forums
2) users who say «u are the company so u must do as I demand and answer all my questions»

Thank you.

ShalokShalom

Сообщение ShalokShalom » 16 фев 2015, 22:23

You avoid logical arguments.

Ответить

Вернуться в «Off the wall»